Orange County was home to two tribes of native Americans, the Tongva (also known as the Gabrillino indians), who lived in the flat lands north of Los Alisos Creek and the Acjachemen (also known as the Juaneno, due to their proximity to Mission San Juan Capistrano), who lived in the coastal and foothills and the mountains south of Los Alison Creek. They harvested acorns, gathered grasses and fruits, hunted on land and fished in the sea. They also wove fine baskets and were part of a flourishing trade network that stretched from the Channel islands to the Colorado River. Laguna Hills is built on one of the major land grants developed during the Rancho Era. Following Mexico’s independence from Spain in 1821, those who had served in the government or who had friends in authority, were given vast lands for cattle grazing. In 1842, Don Juan Avila was granted the 13,000 acres of Rancho Niguel on which Laguna Hills is located. In 1874, Lewis Moulton travelled from Boston to California and worked the land learning the trade of sheep herding. He began the Moulton Ranch for dry farming and to raise sheep and cattle. The Moulton Ranch was eventually subdivided in the early 1960’s, part of which is recognized as Laguna Hills. On December 20, 1991, Laguna Hills officially became a City, which was incorporated on July 1, 1996. As of the 2010 census, the population of Laguna Hills reached almost 31,000 residents.